Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Grr



Holding your infant son on your chest, watching his face turn a sick, ash-color, while two nurses you've never seen before rush in front of you, wiggling him vigorously, encouraging him to breathe…is not fun. Just in case anyone wants to try it. Not fun.
Another day of 'normal preemie behavior'. He truly is my little Superman. The challenge, for me, lately, is trying not to perceive that the NICU Doctors are treating Clark as a science experiment.

So, if you're a daily reader of the Chronicles, you might already know, the Docs upped his feeds to a whopping 24ccs. Great. We want him to grow. Yet, it seems as though every time they feed him, he starts to desaturate…even brady. Yesterday was an intense episode. I was getting pissed. Like, isn't it common sense not to over-stuff yourself? To not give such a large feeding into a stomach the size of Clark's fist? I flashed back to the times I decided to binge on a medium pepperoni pizza all by myself…then, shortly after, writhing in over-stuffed agony on my couch, cursing my gluttony and definitely felt like holding my breath and passing out would take away the pain.
Soooo, why do the equivalent to a preemie?! Not just a preemie…my preemie.

(Sigh)

Alright. I cried. I raged. I dealt. It's over. I reminded myself that just like you and I are completely different in biology, like you're allergic to shellfish and I am not, every baby is unique. Clark's situation is different from every baby that comes into the NICU and must be treated as such. It's obvious, the Docs are doing what they feel is in Clark's best interest. They even reduced Clark's feeds a bit, recognizing that 24ccs might be too much for him right now. He does digest it all, but perhaps a full tummy combined with a need to stool, and an uncomfy position, equals bradys and desats. I understand it's all part of figuring out the best recipe for Clark to grow.

There was a year or so when, for some reason, I became terrified of flying. I would obsess: "How do these things stay up here?!" Gripping the side of my too-narrow-even-for-me airplane seat, imagining a situation where the aircraft would suddenly snap in half and I would plummet into the arctic air. Then, one day I finally realized, those were just silly nightmares interfering with my daydreams. I made a decision that after every bit of turbulence, no matter how severe, if the Flight Attendants weren't worried…I wasn't worried.

I look at the nurses faces…if they're not concerned…I'm not concerned. As long as they're not wearing frowns or looks of confusion…I'm fine.

Clark had is little eyes tested today. "All looks normal. Will check again in two weeks."

Happy Six Weeks Clark!

9 comments:

  1. when you were three we were eating at a restaurant having a quiet sunday breakfast and you started choking on a piece of bacon...the panic that comes over you as a parent when your child is in distress is like a defibulator to a heart patient, it shakes you up a bit but somehow you manage to get through it. With the help of a doctor who just happened to be sitting next to us who assisted daddy they got that bacon out and you, of course were fine.....as for me I think you were at least 10 years old before I let you have bacon again (to this day, I always cook bacon until it is burnt, crispier the better) This my son is just a prelude to your life with this baby, there will always be little hold your breath moments but it will be you holding your breath not Clark...you and Christy are doing a great job don't ever forget that....Dad and I are very proud of you XOXOXO A&A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW Happy Birthday my sweet Clark...six weeks absolutely amazing XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things I love about this little sweetie but those hands are right at the top....look how he talks with his hands,he is so darn cute!!!!!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hippo birdie to you, Clark! You are doing great and we all are right there with you! You and Christy are doing so well and please know, we all know how tough this can be. We love you and are here to offer any support we can. Things will change daily and it is just the ebb and flow of Clark's growth. Love and heart beams to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed reading the blog this week. Clark has come so far! The pics are all great. I've been typing my own personal "letters" to Clark wishing him well. (Hope that's not weird-and not online),telling him he has good parents and everyone's looking after him and just really being witty about it and telling him all is going to be fine. A lot of positive energy going on in his favor,etc. Loved the pics of you guys sleeping. Hard working parents need extra rest. My heart goes out to you guys and to Clark. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweetie - love the photos, and the musings of your heart, we're with you all the way on this roller coaster, whatever you need...just look around, or call out - and we'll be there - your heart beam crew!! Love you three!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these pix of all 3 of you, Christy taking a nap, Jason likewise, and the little man munchkin Clark with his expressive hands! Unfreakinbelievable! I love his hands! Definitely gonna be an actor!!! Jason and Christy, you two are amazing. I don't know if you have any idea how much you are loved and thought about.....it's all we talk about here. Clark has come so far in a really short period of time.....yes, he has amazing care, but the two of you are the reason for his rapid growth. You can tell that he wants out and to start raising some hell and SOON!! He is always going to want to be one step ahead of his time.....just like you were Jas. I can see this in him right now!! Anyway, the stress is overwhelming sometimes, but keep reminding yourselves of the end result!. AND, don't forget to take some time for yourselves!!! And....keep sending pix! Hugs, kisses, and loving heart beams all around!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that.
    how to increase milk supply

    ReplyDelete