Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mmmmm. Just had a massage. Neeeded that. Thank you Kellie-ma!

If it's possible to glut out on love, then forgive me goddess, for I have sinned!

Last night was the celebration of our beloved yoga studio. Yoga Blend, our first 'child', turned 5 on Thursday. And so far, she's matured into a nice, healthy, progressive, fully functioning entity. Yes, I know, that's pretty big for 5, but as one of our lovely studio managers put it...we're counting it in doggie years. Love ya Bek!

Yes, celebration! We were honoured with Daniel Stewart, good pal, great yoga teacher, and co-owner of Rising Lotus Yoga in Sherman Oaks...and kick ass kirtan performer. He brought his band of merry musical healers along to enlighten, abuzz, and spread love to our Blenders. He also dedicated the evening's performance to our little boy!

Here's a bit of Daniel doing his thing at his studio New Years Eve. FYI, I did not shoot this vid. Excuse the poor camera work and focus on the music.



Besides nurses, doctors, and Preemie Parents, last eve was the first time we've really seen...well, anybody. Occasionally, we'd be home long enough to see a random stop-by, delivering us dinner, lunch, or a hug; but we finally emerged into Yoga Blend, together, as parents! We were literally greeted with cheers! The amount of amour shooting as us was staggering. Heart Beams were bouncing all over us like a disco ball! We visited, hugged, and laughed with many of our most beloved and familiar faces. Then it was off to Shakti (name of one our yoga rooms) for Daniel's kirtan!

Sitting behind his harmonium, Daniel began. His soft voice spoke thought provoking words of dedication for community, love, and family. Singling out Clark Otis as a catalyst for the evening's theme. He was flanked by three lovely Sirens, a pair of percussionists, a bassist (DARBY!!!), acoustic guitar, and a violin! Our Aussie pal, David, set up mood lights of red and green, and a laser light device that projected billions of little green 'stars' dancing slowly over an LED 'milky way'.
The harmonium breathed. The kirtan began. Slow and smooth, instantly producing vibrations too strong to ignore. Soon, the energy began to build, then rocketed with tremors of bliss! People were chanting along. Singing out! I pounded the drum between my knees and watched gleefully at Blenders dancing, smiling, gushing, evoking, dare I say, exploding with happy!

Now you know when you see a live musical performance and one of the artists takes a solo, or the group suddenly melds itself into a cohesive unit. The synergy is unmistakable. You can't look away. You're literally pulled towards the magic like a tractor beam. There was a moment like that last night. A long, heavy, psychedelic moment where everyone in the room was one. We were surrounded by a clear, glittery, bubble of warmth. Nothing could hurt us. We were family.
And my eyes welled up, because the only thing that would have made that moment so much more caramel, was to have Clark wedged between Christy and I. Little he, sitting on a bolster, wearing some funky little yoga pants, a Burning Man style vest, a bindi on his little forehead underneath a mop of electrified hair darting in all sorts of directions, a shaker in his hand, grooving, entranced along with us.



When it was all over. I was exhausted! I couldn't even summon the energy to say a proper goodbye to everyone. Christy and I gave parting hugs to whom we could, then stole away home.
The car ride seemed more like a magic carpet ride. We basked in the fortune of the people we have in our lives, not believing it could be real.

I loved my Nana. I miss her so much. When we moved to California to find our fortune, I always looked forward to visiting with her. Sometimes I would treat her with fine gifts or take her places or send her money just because. In thanks and appreciation, she would always tell me that "Something real good is going to happen to you." She would say it almost in a "Here's lookin' at you kid." kinda tone. Funny gal, that Nana.

Last night, was one of those real good somethings I'm sure she was talking about.

Jai Clark, jai Clark, jai jai Clark!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jason -- It's Christy's student Brenda Pokorny. It was an honor to meet you last night. Here are the lyrics to the version of "I'm Yours" Jason Mraz performed on Sesame Street -- it aired the morning after you posted your blog about the song being Clark's song and I was blown away by the timing of it all...these lyrics are perfect...


    All day I’ve been inside and I got the feeling
    I’m trapped between the walls and underneath the ceiling
    I feel a bit off track and now I’m trying to get back
    Back in the cool cool air where the sun is shining
    Nothing’s going to stop me, it’s all in the timing
    It’s finally again my turn, it’s time to return
    Because I won't stay inside no more, no more
    I cannot wait to go outdoors

    Well open up your door and be like me
    Open up your door, and then breathe free
    Look at all the beauty, you’ll feel love, love, love, love
    Listen to the music of the wind and the birdies sing
    We’re just one big family
    And all of nature deserves to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved

    So, I won’t stay inside no more, no more,
    It cannot wait
    I’m sure there is no need to run and hide
    Let’s go explore
    It feels so great
    Let’s go outdoors

    Do, do, do, do, do, do
    Come on out here, where the air is fresh and clear

    So I won’t stay inside no more, no more
    It cannot wait let’s go outdoors

    Well open up your door and be like me
    Open up your door and then breathe free
    Look at all the beauty and you’ll find the earth and sky is yours
    So please there is no need to hide inside
    Let’s go explore, it feels so free
    Let’s go outdoors….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice song. I'll YouTube that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful that you have found a song that you love and are singing to Clark. That is so important. I remember when Danica was born, I had heard that it didn't matter what you sang, just that you sang to your child. It didn't have to make sense or even be a song anyone else knew. I came up with a very simple lyric and an even simpler tune. I sang it to both Danica and Josh when they were babies and on. To this day, they both remember it. Now, I'm sure they would have preferred a better vocalist, though. My voice...well...But the song was definitely an original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful time it must have been it makes me happy to know you both are so appreciated and loved by so many people, what more can a mother hope for. I miss your Nana too,every minute of ever day and I don't have to tell you she loved YOU more than breathing and I am also sure that she is so proud of the man you have become of the woman you chose to share your life and that little baby boy who before you know it will be singing, clapping his little hands to the music, dancing in his funky little outfit and making you proud that he's your son.....XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Beautiful. Everything Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete