Sunday, May 2, 2010

May...Already?

Wow. Since Thursday, Feb 11, I have driven from Sun Valley, through Burbank, over Cahuenga to Melrose, left on San Vicente, right on Beverly, left on George Burns Drive and left into Cedar Sinai parking garage #1...mezzanine level...every day.

Once in the parking garage, depending on the hustle bustle time of day, I'll wait anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes for a parking spot. No big. Got it down to a science, I did. Even became pals with the Parking Valet Staff who are quick to point out who's leaving so I can place myself next to the space, blinker on, indicating 'reserved'!

From wherever I end up, there's a short walk to the elevators. Press floor 4, and up I go to the NICU. Sign in, grab my official 'Parent' badge, walk through the automatic doors, down a corridor and through two more sets of automatic doors, wash my hands at the large stainless steel basin (reserved just for parents), then make my way towards the bright, happy, clouds-parted, rainbow beamed covered face of my little boy!

Every day, for the past ten weeks and five days...not counting the extra six days spent on floor three where we thought Christy would, well, still be if Clark decided to wait until his projected due date...this is our routine.

Yes, we had our ups and downs, but for the most part, Clark just cruised. Looking back at the comparison photos, I forget just how fortunate we are that he is doing as well as he is. Just today, I overheard nurses detailing situations with other babies around us. Some can't digest. Some are not gaining weight. Some had to have a pik line inserted in the scalp. Some will not stool. My heart goes out to all the parents.
Clark is doing so well that I even find myself masking my glee when another parent asks about our situation, feeling a bit guilty. Only cuz I know that during my dark days, I friggin' hated happy parents who's babies were closer to leaving than Clark.

Today, Christy wraps up her teacher training! 18 students have now surpassed 200 hours of her expert tuteledge and are well on their way to becoming teachers themselves. Now, relieved, Christy can focus, 100% on our (above) routine without having to leave early to get home to teach, or get up super early to get to the hospital; knowing she would only have a minimal amount of time to spend with Clark Otis, before...that's right...having to go home and teach.

This morning, I took the super early shift. Around noon, I grabbed some catering to bring home to the celebrating Yoga Blenders, and in a couple of hours, Christy and I will go back to the hospital together.

As of this morning, Clark is still doing great! Still refluxing. A brady here and there. The milk fortifier causes constipation, but no one seems too concerned over that. But when he poops...man, he poops! He feeds from his bottle. He loves his momma's breast. He puts away his required feeds. Four bottles a day. Soon eight. Then, next stop...exit, stage left...destination...HOME!

Now...the only thing we're up against...is time.

3 comments:

  1. Clark is a "miracle baby". I have been comparing older photos from the blog and am astounded at the growth and transformation that has taken place. There is the photo from March 14th, I think, and he was SO delicate and small. Now he is taking on such a progressive turn for the better. He is stronger now. I hope someday when he is old enough, he will understand (when you tell him) and appreciate all the love you both had for him when he was going through all this.... all that you guys have sacrificed, the hours, sleeplessness, the worry, etc, etc. He is thriving and living because you did not just sit and feel sorry about the situation all the time but that you took on this challenge and "rose to the occasion". Things like this, although not always pleasant, teach us humility and appreciation for life and how fragile it is.
    Go Clark, go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Seriously, you guys ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say to you today is, I am so very proud of you...just in case you didn't already know that....Love you always & always mom XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete