Monday, August 2, 2010

I Just Love Being a Dad!



Man o man, when the days are good...they're sweeter than Yoo Hoo! Thankfully we have many of these days. Clark is by far the best thing to happen to me since Christy. Sometimes I forget that he's actually mine. My 'son'. "Hey son!" "Alright son." "I can't right now, I'm spending time with my son." Ha! I squeal like a little girl about it. Since Clark came home, May 17, he continues to thrive. He's already outgrown the insert for his car-seat. He fills up his Moses basket. His not-so-little-anymore head surpasses the 'newborn' neck-rest of his bathtub. We've now graduated to the
bigger sized diapers and are introducing a whole new drawer of clothes that were once too big, are fitting just fine.

He cooes and gurgles. Sometimes sounding like an infant Wookie. Aarrrghghlllll. Hm, I think I might try to make that my new ring tone! He loves getting his diaper changed and loves the process of taking on and off his clothes. It just gets him so excited. I've started the habit of humming "Don't Stop Til Ya Get Enough" by Michael Jackson when I perform these tasks. The high pitched beat seems to tickle him.

Today we did some artwork. Check it.


It was trial and error at first. I realized, it was much easier to bring the paint to his feet than his feet to the paint. He seemed to love the sensation of it between his toes. I foresee the future...Clark, age 18, in the Sand Dunes of Colorado, with a huge canvas, painting in the nude.
Or maybe he'll sell pencils...whatever...I'll still love him!


This weekend we had special visitors. Two couples we befriended in the NICU. Meet Julie and Barry, and their TRIPLETS!


That's right, this play date was chock full of baby. As cute as Emmett, Noah, and Hudson were, Christy and I are certainly happy that we only have one. Julie is often on our minds when we experience something challenging with Clark, reminding us that she's probably dealing with the same thing...times three!

That was Friday. On Sunday, Katie and Lynx brought their two cuties, Malik and Kamali.


They were in the NICU before Clark and were much worse off. Poor babies went through multiple surgeries. Katie and Lynx routinely had to dress in a paper gown and rubber gloves just to touch them. Even after they were sent home from the NICU, Malik had to be re-admitted the following week to deal with further complications. But now, they too are home, happy, and family-complete!


Clark was an absolute angel during both visits, especially during a chorus of screaming, teething, triplets. He would only look on with concern. Of course, there are the challenges where all he wants is our attention, to be held, to be fed, changed. He makes these demands obvious. Politely (well, as politely as unabashed screaming can be) that our lives no longer come first. The e-mails can wait. Shower? Maybe tomorrow. That project we wanted to get to...can stand to sit on the shelf for a while. "You need to hold me, bitch!" is the look in his eye. And at first, I'm clenched at being interrupted from my task, but then I pick him up and he instantly soothes...and then I thank him.

9 comments:

  1. Who had more fun here Daddy or Clark! There's nothing like making another memory to look back on in years to come...my most cherished possessions are my vast collection of memorablilia of your youth...food for my soul....priceless XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ovaries just twitched a little reading that. /sigh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say Daddy had more fun...:-)

    It's nice that Clark has so many baby buddies from the NICU. Wonder how many of them he'll be friends with as he grows older. I can just imagine an older Clark telling somebody, "So what if you've been best friends with somebody since kidnergarten?? I've been best friends with someone since we were born... and we were both premature!!"

    And I imagine the bond you have with the parents is a very deep one. Probably one of those things that can't be fully understood unless you've experienced it.

    "The high pitched beat seems to tickle him."
    That there makes me want to find out how Clark will react to my deep bass voice. Hopefully I'll get a chance to find out in the very near future. (Disclaimer: I make no claims about quality of voice or being able to carry a tune).

    XOXOXOXOXO
    Love and Hearbeams
    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  4. These postings are more valuable to me lately because they come not so often...which I fully understand. However, when they do show up, they are jam packed with "growing" information. I just love to read about little Clark's progress,not to mention how the parents have settled right into being mommy and daddy.

    It doesn't seem possible that "yesterday" we just learned of a new life created, and "today" that new life is flourishing in leaps and bounds! He may have spent his first 3 months in NICU, but he sure is making up for it now.

    Today is NanaBelle's birthday (gone now for 7 years, my heart is very heavy still) but I believe she is an angel watching over the three of you, surrounding you with all of God's love to nourish the blessings bestowed upon you. So deserving......until the next blog, all my love, hugs and kisses: XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, you are such a great daddy! I really think that you were "meant" to be one... so cute and fun. I love the pics and the updates. Even though i am blessed to see him and hold him regularly, I love catching up on the chronicles!!! keep em coming when ya can! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this stuff, thank you for continuing to post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures! So much fun to read about this happy journey! Heartbeams to all of you from both of us. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post... especially the part about you squealing like a little girl! So great that Clark has so many friends already and they are all doing so well too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the interruption, but I came across this video on YouTube and couldn't help but think of Clark.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EPYvFT3TQ4&videos=M8D5Xcfo5s8

    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get something out of my eye.

    ReplyDelete