Monday, October 25, 2010

Clark's 1st Trip to Disneyland!!!

Those who know me, know I love me the Disneyland. I used to study the park map and dream that as soon as I got my driver's license, I would visit every chance I got, starting with the train, then Space Mountain, then Big Thunder, meticulously visiting every attraction in every 'land' until exhaustion. Turns out, by the time I was old enough to drive myself, I did go every chance I got, but not to exhaust myself on rides, but rather wander, take in the sights, find a nice spot to sit and people watch. And during these voyeuristic visits, I would marvel at the parents who were audacious enough to bring an infant! I mean, it's not like the little creature is going to remember anything. I often thought it must be torture for some of them to be in the presence of a behemoth mouse with a glazed grin! Why would anyone do that???

Yet, there I was, at Disneyland...with my infant...and I got it. More on that in a sec.

It wasn't a premeditated decision, what happened was, Christy's brother Scott and his three kids, my nieces and nephew, Bailey, Emma, and Connor were coming to visit from TN. Of course, they wanted to go to Disneyland. Of course, we wanted to go too. Luckily both our jobs granted us the luxury to embark on such a task. Luckily, Christy has a most kick ass assistant (also close, personal friend), Marriah, who was put on the clock to join us on our trip and watch Clark so we could ride rides and hang with the family (nice gig, eh)!

From L-R Connor, Emma, Bailey, and Scott!



Marriah and Clark while we were on Indiana Jones!


We had such a great time! Although it did rain that day, well, more like a mild drizzle, it did keep the lines short and left the brave to battle the weather in the name of Disneyland fun!

Christy's 'Bubba', givin' his nephew a lift.



A perk I've acquired over the years, is access to the exclusive Club 33. Disney-philes know it as the private club Walt was building to entertain celebs, dignitaries, royals and more. He never lived to see its completion, but fans all over have been enjoying the fruits of Disney's labor.

Clark, too young for the steak, too young still for the Mickey shaped chicken tenders,
but he can definitely appreciate a fine tablecloth.



Christy got to hold him on the Jungle Cruise and I held him on Pirates (he slept...yes, even during that first, steep, wet, descent), yet even with Marriah in tow, Christy and I couldn't help but want to sit out some rides so we could hang with our son. There was something about one of us chillin' with our boy while the other joined the family on a ride or two. There was one particular moment I was waiting with Clark. It was raining pretty hard at this point and we were under some shelter. Christy, Marriah, and the fam were on the Matterhorn when I looked down and saw this face looking back up at me:



Then this face:


I captured these moments right there... and I got it. Taking your infant to Disneyland is more than just for them, it's more than just for the parent. Disneyland, although some would argue its corporate mutation, is still very much a place for family. The nostalgia, the history, the intention is for everyone to experience, just as Walt probably wanted. You can't deny the candy coated rainbow sprinkles that dance in your tummy each time you walk down Main Street. Disneyland is for generations. Christy and I have created another generation, and in a way, we were almost obligated to take him to Disneyland as soon as he was able. Sort of a baptism, I guess. Sure, he might not remember the experience and it's not like these pictures or words will matter to him a few years from now, because we will take him again...and again...and each experience will be new and exciting and fresh and amazing and we can always look back on this moment as that special day we took Clark to Disneyland for his first time!

6 comments:

  1. how did I miss this post and these fantastic pix!...it looks like you guys had a great time and you sweet pea look like you had the best time of all...wait till you are older and look back on this chronicle that your mommy & daddy did for you....you're a lucky little boy who is loved heartbeams of miles xo:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS POST! I can't wait till the day that I take our babies to Disneyland. I know it's so silly but it's just so nostalgic for me. I wish I had the pictures of my first time at Disneyland, and I'm sure Clark will LOVE these and the time you took to write it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I have logged onto this blog knowing how busy you guys are now as new parents.....BUT, today I am so happy that I did! What magnificent "story tellers" you both are and this one is no exception, not to mention the pix that accompany the stories!! Clark looks amazing these days...so very healthy and adorable. It just doesn't seem possible that he is 8 months old now and thriving, thriving and thriving so much each day!! Everyone asks me about him and I cannot wait to show these new pictures! Thanks so much sharing!! With love and hugs and kisses always, Auntie Puddin' XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's so cute smiling in those pics. Every moment counts. I can tell he had fun and no doubt he will love Disneyland just as much as his dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me get this straight. You actually PAID somebody to go to Disneyland with you and hang with Clark?? Where the heck do I sign up for that job??

    Speaking of Mariah, does she remind anybody else of Minnie Mouse in that one picture of her with Clark...:-)

    Can't wait to see Clark again... hopefully tomorrow at class. Suffering from severe Clark addiction, and the withdrawal pains are getting serious. I need me a Clark fix!!!


    XOXOXOXOXO
    Love and Heartbeams
    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, Jason. What a beautiful trip for all of you! The pictures are worth a thousand words and I know you love Disneyland. Thank you for sharing the pictures and your commentary. You write so well.

    ReplyDelete