Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blogging by the Bedside 2

This time, I got me laptop. Easier to blog heartfelt words this way, than the tiny touchscreen letters of a cell phone.

Yeah. Heavy day for sure. I came in after work, full of emotion. Helplessness does seep in.
I shared some heartfelt words with him. Sorry...private. Read another chapter of 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'. I sang "I'm Yours" again to him. Dunno why that seems to be his theme. It was the first song that popped into my head two weeks ago when I felt the urge to sing to him. I'm sure Jason Mraz did not intend for it to be a parent-preemie song, but the words work for me.

'I said you done done me, and you bet I felt it
I tried to be cool, but you're so hot that I melted'

Man that's how he makes me feel. Wow.

'I won't hesitate, no more
no more,
this is our fate,
I'm yours'

That's right buddy boy, your mom and I are so yours.

Okay, update. His 'blood gas' has been coming back "very good". That is good news. No infection. Clark also hasn't had a bradycardia episode since the intubation. Also good. Stubborn little guy didn't want any help breathing...but he had to succumb. Thought he could "do bad all by hisself'. Hm. Wonder if this is a challenge we'll repeatedly experience with him as he gets older. Heck, I still do it. Christy does it. It's hard feeling super human in a human body. The 'chip' seems to be resembling the 'old block'.

Feeling really antisocial today. Do not want to inflict my pain on any 'unsuspecting peoples'. But you can't help interacting with fellow PPs (Preemie Parents) here in the NICU , and truly, the one's we've bonded with so far have always been a delight to see. I got my spirits lifted a mite a little while ago in the 'Library', but I could not wait to stand, vigil, over my boy.

He's got an IV in each wrist. A central line below his left knee, traveling up his leg into his chest. A monitor on his right foot. The poor guy's appendages are currently unable for use. The intrusive intubation tube is down this gully along with thinner feeding tube. His eyes are covered. Though I imagine his nose must be singing a chorus of relief for not having that pesky CPAP device up his nostrils.

He's eliminating.

Okay we're all friends here...he's pooping. He definitely seems more relaxed. As relaxed as you can be, hooked up like a marionette. He'll twitch and fuss occasionally. Still feisty which is good to see.

And I can't help it...he just looks so beautiful.



His diaper will be changed in a bit. Looking forward to that.

I'm sitting by Clark, now. Looking at him. I just watched this evening's night nurse implement a tiny IV to his left hand and extract blood. It's funny. I used to be pretty queasy at the sight of blood. I think I got that from you, Mom! Dunno if it's all the horror movies I've absorbed. Or the desensitisation of what your eyes can stumble upon in mass media, but stuff I used to find gross, I now find gross with fascination.



When I was four. I was hit by a car. I snuck out of my backyard to have some naughty fun at the playground across the street. 'Look both ways before you cross the street', is what I was taught. Perhaps my young brain thought that the act of turning your head right and left was a universal signal to alert cars of your crossing. Or perhaps I didn't look at all, but I do remember the street being empty. Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by people. An ambulance, the medics, the little girl in her softball uniform who I saw playing with her friends. My mother, standing over me. I don't remember feeling any pain or having any sort of repercussions from the event. Just phone calls from relatives who reminded me how silly I was for doing what I did. (Yeah, no shit guys!)
From my mother's point of view, I was found face up in a pool of blood. My mother, who I remember being unsettled by a fake wound on an actor I was working with, on an episode of Tales from the Crypt, even after she saw the make-up applied, knowing it was fake, could not handle the gore. She will tell you that seeing her son, crumpled from the impact of a car, somehow turned her stomach and her will...to iron!

I do not ever want to see Clark in any pain or misfortune. But I know that there is a new part of me now that will be strong for him if misfortune should ever arise. Strong like iron.

14 comments:

  1. Marsman strong as steal and yet softly leaping into our hearts in a single bound. Thanks for sharing your journey, now worries I love being here for you and Christy when things aren't easy and I love to dance with yous when we celebrate. Here for ya whenever ya need. Much love always included.

    ps...still shocked about you being run over. amazing how much we share and there is always sooo much more.

    HeartBeams and SunShine Hugs out to YOU-Clark-n- Christy!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got an email from Wendy Hagen about your dear little guy. We had twin boys at 25 weeks. They weighted 1'8oz and 1'13oz. Surprisingly the bigger son Alex passed away 9 days later. He had a grade 4 brain bleed and a few other internal complication. Graham the other twin had 3 surgeries and had many peeks and vallies. He is doing great 81/2 yrs. later. We have had 3 more girls since. The third at 35 weeks then 4&5 made it to scheduled 38 week c-sections. Reading your blog is so vivid in my mind. The bonds you are making will last. We are still best friends with 3 of the families that we meet in the NICU and lived with basically for 31/2 months. Hold him as much as you can. They do the best in the parents arms or snuggling in your chest. If you ever have any questions feel free to email me. Kourtney.myers@gmail.com you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I had no idea of the car accident. I don't know why I feel so bonded with this little fighter you got there. I guess being a fan of yours for such a long time you feel you know somebody pretty well and it's like Clark is an addition to that,kinda. Clark's got new fans. He is truly a part of you. When I hear you guys going through a rough spot some days, I feel a bit of it too-like a little piece torn out of me. I am loving every minute of y'alls story, a true one. Maybe this is an opportunity to write a book about, huh? What a great thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Mr. Man....like I mentioned in Christy's blog yesterday....so, it was NOT a good day , but the day before was such an uplift....hopefully, today will be better. There is a light at the end of this tunnel and it won't be long before you see it flicker!!! I remember when you were hit by that car - just like it was yesterday - so, I can certainly feel your's and Christy's helplessness, but ya gotta trust little Clark is in the best place possible and receiving the best care possible. You and Christy, and all of your family and friends, are in constant connection with our higher powers and sending heart beams galore!! And, don't forget Nana...you were her whole life and right now I can see her pointing her finger up at God saying "keep this family in your care and help them get through...or else!". Can't ya just picture it??? You hang in there, sweet thing, even though I'm not there with you, I have my arms around you and Christy, and I look forward to the day that I can do that personally with all three of you. It will happen, I am sure of it!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO, heart beams and all my love! (also, from Uncle Ed!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading and following Clark's days and have been at a loss for words. Never at a loss for sending love and positive energy though. But today.... Today! I've found the words:

    YAY!!! Poop!

    xo xo Aida & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right...he is so very beautiful, lying there, resembling a grown man with those beautiful shoulders and big hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... Never though poop would make me so happy and excited. Hey, if it's his first one, maybe you should have it bronzed!! Sorry, I just had to say it...:-)

    You and Christy are handling this as well as anybody I know could handle it. Thank you for sharing Clark's adventure with us all. Much love and heartbeams in y'all's direction

    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three cheers for poop! And for the incomparable strength of parental love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason and Christy, I just saw a client who has a friend who was born at 24 weeks and weighed 1 pound. Said friend has just graduated Harvard and is a beauty (inside and out). No lasting preemie reprocutions.
    Also your son has stunning hands as well as studly shoulders -and I wish I had an Auntie Puddin'she's awesome. LG xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. love and heart beams to all three of you as always. One of the first things I do every day when I get home is read your blog. know i'm always thinking of you and your Teeny Little Super Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason, I LOVE when you post pics, they are so beautiful. I want to reach right into them and hold his darling hand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that awful day as if it were yesterday and believe me it played in my head over and over for years and years after. I think it had a big part in why I was so overly protective of you growing up, always afraid something would happen to you(sorry about that) Holding you in my arms in the ambulance, I wouldn't let them put you on the strecher, I thought if I held you, you would be OK...you looked up at me and said "I looked right and then I looked left and the car still came"....One of the scariest days of my life but we survived it and this obsticle we will survive too and you will be telling your story to your son on one of his lowest days....I love you son... always and always XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. me again....I got so caught up in looking back at that day I forgot what I really wanted to say and that is... when the blood, the vomit or the poop is your childs.... all fears, all phobeas, all things you fear don't exist.....XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I even have looking your article and that helped me to put in writing my article about which fruit is also known as the love apple? you want to have a test on my article.

    ReplyDelete