Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day in Five Words


Sorry this Father's Day adventure took a while to culminate. Sunday was amazing, yet simple. I mean, all we did really was go to the mall. Add baby, add ten times more fatigue. Wow, just realized, Clark has been home FIVE weeks today! Not to sound like a broken record, but MAN the time is flying. Anyway...

Father's Day! My first! I awoke early, much like when I was five or six, anxiously awaiting Santa! I gleefully changed and fed Clark, then remained in bed, holding him close as we watched some TV. When he nodded off, I played some games on my iPhone (Angry Birds...I'm so addicted!). Suddenly, Christy appears with a steaming tray of Father's Day Breakfast in Bed goodness:
Cinnamon, brown-rice porridge, with bananas, walnuts, and maple syrup, a side of cinnamon toast, Teeccino (caffeine free, yet coffe-like tea), and fresh squeezed juice; orange, apple, and greens...yum!

I showered...wait...did I? I know I did today, but did I shower yesterday before we left? (After consulting Christy, the answer is still undetermined). I definitely put my contacts on. Yes. Pretty sure I remember doing that. Oh, and did my hair. Anyway, we gathered ourselves together, Clark wearing one of my favorite Batman onesies, and myself, one of my favorite Batman T-shirts. Both of us wore matching brown bottoms (though his were bloomers and mine were actual pants).

My desire!? To head out to the Americana in Glendale. A stylish, outdoor, shopping experience, with many stores, restaurants, a lavish pond with a synchronized dancing fountain, a trolley, movie theatre and more. This would be Clark's REAL first day out. Like with actual people. I wanted to come here, not just for the fresh air and nice day weather, but to get me some fancy undees at the H&M store.
First, we hit Lululemon, a yoga-clothing store, where Christy serves as the local Ambassador.

That's her in the poster!!!

The employees there have been glued to the Chronicles and were more than excited to meet Clark in person!

From there, we went to H&M where Clark, who we expected to probably just chill in his stroller, started to fuss! Christy stayed outside to feed him while I searched for some underwear. Unfortunately, they didn't have ANY in my size (humph), but instead I found MANY other items I took a shining to.
Outside, Christy was breastfeeding Clark, who was safely hidden from view under her "Udder cover". (Did you just check that site out? Would you like to bet money whether or not ANY of those girls ever had a baby?) So, I joined her and Nana Pat, sitting at a table under an umbrella watching passerbys. I sat there, swelling with fatherly pride...I was with my family.


Well, Nana Pat, was getting a little hungry so we made our way to the Cheesecake Factory and had a lovely lunch/snack outside on the patio. I had me a Mojito and watched Clark sleep in his little car seat/stroller, conveniently shaded from the sun and silently enjoying our company. I looked to my right and saw a Voice Over pal o' mine, walkin' to the movie theatre with his wife and kids! I called him over to say hi and meet Clark. They had also been following Clark's journey and were so pleased to feast their eyes on him. It was right then, Clark started to fuss again. I mean, realllly fuss. His cries built into super-loud screams of hunger! Here came another Fatherly First; maintaining a conversation in public, with other adults, I scooped Clark up in my arms, Christy gave me his bottle and I managed to silence his complaints right then and there.
I was so lost in the moment I didn't realize I was becoming rather emotional. Clark had screamed so loud, I felt so bad. I just remember the feeling of my heart sinking as he calmed so quickly with the bottle in his mouth. I found myself wishing I could have given it to him even a second earlier to ease his discomfort. I looked up at my pal, my peer, now a fellow dad, and he too was looking on with tears in his eyes. Our eyes met and for that split second, we communicated a mutual knowing. Difficult to describe, but definitely one of those moments that has emblazened itself into my memory.


The party didn't stop there. I finished feeding Clark, then settled back to finish MY meal. I just couldn't let him go and was happy to eat with one hand. Well, the little dude spit up all over me (yes!) and himself. Luckily we brought him an extra outfit. Already standing and eager to continue my Fatherly strut, I volunteered to take him to the Men's room baby changing area.
The funky tunes inside CF became my theme music. A proud father, his handsome, yet coagulated-milk covered, son over one shoulder, a diaper bag over the other, marching through the crowd towards the men's room.
The baby changing area was inside the largest stall which was, of course, occupied. Luckily Clark found solace on my shoulder, so it was easy to just wait. A steady stream (pun intended) of fathers and sons came trickling (pun intended) into the restroom to liquidate their assets (???). Every so often I'd get an appreciative look or a comment: "Wow, he's so tiny! How many days?" ME: "Four months." The reactions are priceless. After several grueling minutes the stall became available, having been ruthlessly dominated by a CF employee doing Goddessknowswhat, Clark and I went in. I changed him, we left. Mission took longer than expected but successful nonetheless.

We exited Cheesecake Factory, visited a few other stores before finally retreating home. Clark was pretty much awake most of the FIVE hours we were gone. Needless to say, when we got home, we were ALL exhausted!

Christy, Clark, and I napped as Nana Pat prepared dinner. We feasted then finally allowed ourselves to turn in for the night. Christy breastfed Clark in bed, as we watched our Sunday ritual of True Blood. Clark pretty much passed out, and so did we. He slept like a rock, allowing us to catch up on some pretty serious ZZZs. A truly magnificent and fulfilling day! Filling of the soul, the heart, and the mind's eye. Memories that will be cherished forever. A new celebration for me to look forward to. Even more so than my own birthday! More than Christmas! More than...gasp...Halloween! I will conclude my first Father's Day experience with five words...Can't wait til next year.

11 comments:

  1. so awesome! And so happy for you Jason! Thanks for sharing.

    Kasper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy to read this, it sounds like a perfect memory. You just wait though because all the other Holidays you love so much will still be part of that "favorite" package in their own ways and I can't wait to hear all about them as the time unfolds....enjoy XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jason! I so enjoyed reading about your wonderful first father's day. I feel like I was right there with you guys! If you make it out to the Americana again anytime soon, let us know, we can always meet up, we live super close! Love you guys lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son of a gun you're the PERFECT dad!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, I loved reading your first Father's Day story. You take us on the journey with you and that is truly a talent in and of itself. Thank you. Clark is getting so big. We hope to be able to see him soon. You are a wonderful dad and Christy is an amazing mom. This is such a beautiful story, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day, Jason! Thank you for sharing it with us in your special humorous way. I am sure Clark loved it just as much as you did! (And no, those gals on the Udder Cover site have never given birth!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like the bestest day ever. I am SO jealous of the workers at Lululemon. Any chance y'all going to bring Clark by YogaBlend in the near future?? In case you're wondering, just before or after the 11:30-12:45 Wendesday Gentle class that Dana is covering for Christy would probably be a good time. The fact that I regularly take that class has nothing at all to do with my recommendation...:-) BTW, have I mentioned lately how much I want to meet Clark??

    XOXOXOXO
    Love and Heartbeams
    Neal

    P.S. None of those girls have ever given birth...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way that you write, Daddy-o. Sharing in your joy is something that all the yoga blenders are a buzz about...and you know we're all hoping that Clark will make his debut there soon to meet his extended family of doting aunties and uncles! Love to you all!
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww what a wonderful day for a wonderful daddy! You look so HAPPY, and I know you truly are. I have always said to Christy "Jason just HAS to be a dad!" and so you are, and soo sooo sooo precious you are doing it! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that pic of you feeding him and smiling huge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an Awesome Day!! I was tickled to hear about the Batman attire (it makes me feel in a small way, like I was part of your day!)By the way, all of the holidays get better when you have kids, it's amazing how the focus shifts into creating these wonderful traditions for them!
    I wanna come and meet Mr. Clark!!!

    ReplyDelete